The WBCA's "So You Want To Be A Coach" program assists female collegiate basketball players who are interested in pursuing a career in coaching women's basketball by providing them with professional development and career advancement through education, skills enhancement, networking and exposure opportunities. The program also increases awareness regarding the availability of talented female basketball players who want to coach.
The program is conducted each year as part of the WBCA Convention. Each year's class has limited space and enrollees are selected from those nominated by their head coaches. Women of color/minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
The objectives of the "So You Want to Be A Coach" program are to:
- Increase the understanding and application of skills necessary to secure coaching positions in women's basketball.
- Increase the understanding and awareness of competencies necessary for success in coaching.
- Introduce female basketball players to coaches and administrators.
- Raise awareness of the existing talent pool of female basketball players who have a passion for and interest in coaching the game of women's basketball.
To receive consideration for admission to the program, a nominee must:
- Have exhausted her final year of basketball eligibility at a four-year institution or graduated within the past year;
- Be a women's basketball player who wants to pursue a career in coaching;
- Be a credit to the sport of women's basketball both on and off the court;
- Be nominated by her head coach who must be an active WBCA member;
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5; and
- Be able to attend all three days of the program. Program dates will be Wednesday, March 28 - Friday, March 30, 2018 in Columbus, Ohio.
- There will be a nominal tuition component to those student-athletes that are accepted into the program.
2017-2018 Nominations will be available online starting on Monday, Sept. 11, 2017.
Nominations are submitted online each fall by the nominee's head coach who must be a WBCA member. A head coach must provide the following information for their nominee to be considered:
Completed online nomination form, which includes the following additional uploaded documents:
- One page resume provided by the nominee
- One page personal statement provided by the nominee
- One page letter of recommendation from nominee's head coach
- A video, 30 seconds or less, by the nominee stating "Why I Want To Be A Coach." Applicant video clips should be sent directly to email@example.com prior to the nomination deadline on Oct. 20, 2017.
Permissive legislation allows for NCAA Division I (Bylaw 18.104.22.168), NCAA Division II (Bylaw 22.214.171.124) and NCAA Division III (Bylaw 126.96.36.199) institutions to pay for a student-athlete's actual and necessary expenses to attend the "So You Want To Be A Coach" program.
If you are interested in contacting any of the 2017 "So You Want To Be A Coach" graduates, please contact Daniella Trujillo.
Click below to submit your nomination(s). Login is required.