Presented in partnership with WeCOACH, the WBCA's "So You Want To Be A Coach" program assists female collegiate basketball players who are interested in pursuing a career in coaching women's basketball by providing them with professional development and career advancement through education, skills enhancement, networking and exposure opportunities. The program also increases awareness regarding the availability of talented female basketball players who want to coach.
The program is conducted each year as part of the WBCA Convention. Each year's class has limited space and enrollees are selected from those nominated by their head coaches. Women of color/minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
The 2020-21 nomination deadline is Oct. 23, 2020.
The objectives of the "So You Want to Be A Coach" program are to:
- Increase the understanding and application of skills necessary to secure coaching positions in women's basketball.
- Increase the understanding and awareness of competencies necessary for success in coaching.
- Introduce female basketball players to coaches and administrators.
- Raise awareness of the existing talent pool of female basketball players who have a passion for and interest in coaching the game of women's basketball.
To receive consideration for admission to the program, a nominee must:
- Have exhausted her final year of basketball eligibility at a four-year institution or graduated within the past year;
- Be a women's basketball player who wants to pursue a career in coaching;
- Be a credit to the sport of women's basketball both on and off the court;
- Be nominated by her head coach who must be an active WBCA member;
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5; and
- 2021 program will be held virtually due to the COVID pandemic. The virtual program will be held the week of Final Four. All dates and times coming soon.
- There will be a nominal tuition component to those student-athletes that are accepted into the program.
Nominations are submitted online each fall by the nominee's head coach who must be a WBCA member. A head coach must provide the following information for their nominee to be considered:
Completed online nomination form, which includes the following additional uploaded documents:
- One page resume provided by the nominee;
- One page personal statement provided by the nominee;
- One page letter of recommendation from nominee's head coach; and
- A video, 30 seconds or less, by the nominee stating "Why I Want To Be A Coach." Applicant video clips should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the nomination deadline on Oct. 23, 2020.
Permissive legislation allows for NCAA Division I (Bylaw 126.96.36.199), NCAA Division II (Bylaw 188.8.131.52) and NCAA Division III (Bylaw 184.108.40.206) institutions to pay for a student-athlete's actual and necessary expenses to attend the "So You Want To Be A Coach" program.
If you are interested in contacting any of the 2019 "So You Want To Be A Coach" graduates, please contact Daniella Trujillo.
Click below to submit your nomination(s). Login is required.