The WBCA looks to its member coaches to help give direction to its programs and events, to promote and distribute information about the association and sport, and to choose recipients for the most prominent coach and player awards presented in women's and girls' basketball. Volunteer opportunities may require only a limited amount of time – such as responding to a series of short e-surveys – or may require a multi-year commitment of service on a committee. Regardless of how a member coach may want to participate, we will find a role for them. And with their help the Association's voice is made stronger and its ability to affect and promote womens' and girls' basketball becomes much more powerful.
To get started, review the list below of ways to volunteer. Then complete and return the volunteer interest form if you wish to be added to our pool of volunteer candidates.
- WBCA Board of Directors and Working Groups – The nomination and election process to fill vacant positions on the WCA Board of Directors occurs in March/April. Each three-year position is defined in the Association's bylaws, including four NCAA Division I directors, two NCAA Division II directors, two NCAA Division III directors, one NAIA director, one junior/community college director, one scholastic director and one assistant coach position, as well as several additional appointed positions.
- Conference Captains (NCAA Division I, II and III) – Captains are head coaches who represent their respective conferences. They typically serve one three-year term, but may serve additional terms as warranted. These coaches participate in approximately six conference calls throughout the season and attend in person one meeting during the WBCA Convention. Captains communicate the minutes of calls to all the coaches in their conference, work with their conference offices on women's basketball-related projects, give feedback on WBCA projects and initiatives, and act as ambassadors for the Association.
- More Than 30 Awards Committees (view list of WBCA Awards programs) – Selecting for recogition the best coaches and players in our sport is best left to the coaches themselves. With more than 30 awards given annually, the WBCA has an extensive network of member coaches who help to identify and choose the recipients. The term of service on all awards committees is four years.
- Assistant Coaches Cabinet – This committee is composed of three assistant coaches from each of the six divisions of WBCA membership (NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NCAA Division III, NAIA, junior/community college, scholastic). Coaches are nominated and elected in March/April. Committee members serve a three-year term.
- NCAA Division I, II and III Top 25 Coaches' Poll Committees – Head coaches may volunteer for three-year terms on these groups, which evaluate and rank the teams in their respective divisions each week during the season. Members of these committees are required to stay apprised of teams' performances in their divisions and to submit ballots by noon ET Tuesday each week of the season.
- Convention Advisory Group – This is a survey group which completes regular e-surveys during the summer and fall to help WBCA staff make decisions on event scheduling, programming and speakers for the upcoming WBCA Convention.
- Speak at a WBCA event – A call for speakers is made in the late summer/early fall for those who have an interest in presenting at a learning lab or roundtable session during the WBCA Convention or participating in other WBCA educational events.
Volunteer Interest Form (PDF)