The WBCA CHARITY OF CHOICE
The Kay Yow Cancer Fund, established on Dec. 3, 2007, was initially started by the vision of the late Kay Yow, the passionate, inspiring, and extraordinary North Carolina State University hall of fame coach. The fund is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization committed to finding an answer in the fight against women's cancers through raising money for scientific research and related programs, assisting the underserved, and unifying people for a common cause. Since the fund’s inception, more than $7 million has been awarded for scientific research and related programs focused on women’s cancers and helping the underserved.
Coach Yow battled cancer the last 22 years of her coaching career, passing away in 2009. Her oncologist stated that her life was extended and enhanced because of the advances in cancer treatment made as a result of scientific research during the 1980s and 1990s. Additionally, Coach Yow believed her love for coaching the game and people, combined with her unshakable faith, helped her beat the disease twice. She knew that coaches could unite and join a cause much bigger than the game itself. She felt the game could honor survivors and let them know they are not alone. Coach Yow believed that one game — dedicated to the cause — would bring coaches, student-athletes, fans, game officials, event administrators and the community together to raise money and awareness. Collectively, we can continue to make a significant impact in the fight against all women's cancers.
Play4Kay has been called Think Pink, Paint It Pink, Pink Zone, Pink Game and Pink Out. While these games have raised money and awareness of the cause, the fund is committed to all women’s cancers and understands that it’s more than a pink game. The Kay Yow Cancer Fund has six elements to unite all coaches and teams participating in order to brand a united front across the country. The Play4Kay dates are Feb. 10-20, but coaches also have the option to choose their most marketable date.
- Host a Play4Kay game. (Call it Play4Kay, and register it online.)
- Raise money, and donate it to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund and participate in the Play4Kay National Free Throw Challenge.
- Honor survivors on court during your game.
- Make a personal contribution to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund in honor of survivors. A check presentation will be held during an NCAA Women's Final Four semifinal or championship game on behalf of the coaches to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.
- Show in-venue videos or make PA announcements about the Kay Yow Cancer Fund during your game.
- Purchase T-shirts from the Kay Yow Cancer Fund to promote uniform branding of the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.
Click here to donate. For any other inquiries, please call the Kay Yow Cancer Fund's office at 919-659-3308.